As I was busy snapping photos, a couple teenage boys walked by. One smiled and commented, "It's beautiful, isn't it? I love watching the river."
I had to agree.
The ice has melted off the river surface. I almost stepped onto what I at first thought was snow-covered shore, then noticed the cracks. It was more like a sheets of snow ready to drop off into the river.
On the opposite side of the sky from the sun, the moon was visible.
I was glancing through some of my notes today. You see, I almost always have the program Notepad open when I'm on the computer at work so I can jot down thoughts and ideas that come into my head to look at later. Of course, after work I'm on to a whole bunch of other things.
I must have hundreds of files of thoughts I've jotted down and never looked back at. Silly me.
I opened one of the files from January, a month when it was bitterly cold. I had made a list of things I was grateful for. It helps me to do this when I feel sorry for myself and I'd just spent a ton of money on a new furnace; money that I'd planned to put in savings for travel to another country - I hadn't decided which country yet, but it doesn't matter now anyway, does it?
So to combat my blues, I jotted down a list of things I was grateful for that day:
- Good, dark coffee, all brewed when I got up.
- The timed coffee maker that brewed the glorious coffee.
- A fenced in yard to let Java out into.
- My car started this morning.
- There wasn't much traffic. Maybe other people's cars didn't start?
- The weather is "refreshing".
- I have a new furnace and a warm house.
- It's not windy out.
- It's very sunny.
- I don't have to be outside cleaning stalls anymore, and trying to get the tractor started and the water pump in the barn to run.
- Someone brought bagels and danish to work (oh, actually not thankful, as I'm trying to lose weight).
- I have a good job with decent coworkers.
- And a sweet, cuddly, warm Java to sleep with.
And today what am I grateful for?
- I'm always grateful for my friends.
- And for a phone call from my son. I kept telling him, "I'm too busy to talk. I have a really important deadline to make at work!" But then I keep talking and talking because it's so good and he makes me laugh without even trying. And he lets me rant. Until I finally say, "Stop talking to me! I have to go!" and then I start talking again.
- For my friend Sue's recommendation of someone to relayer and reshape my hair. It was quite the drive but I am so gorgeous now.
- For being able to work at home from time to time. It's a long story, but we had a little water problem at work and the sound of water vacs and fans and cutting up drywall... well, it's been a bit distracting so I took a break and worked at home today. So MUCH better.
- For the warm temps and that I didn't fall down on the ice that's coating every sidewalk and path around.
- That Java is not pulling on our walks. Could there possibly be improvement?!
- And that you guys put up with my rambling on and on...